Today's Alt Summit Wednesday #altchat was about shaking things up to get out of a rut. Well, I quit my job and moved 1,500 miles away a year and a half ago. I quit my job again right before Christmas and I've been working from home ever since. Those are pretty big shake-ups, right?
My whole life has been do-do-do and go-go-go. Just recently my husband told me that I do "busy work." Busy work, WHAT?!? I have 15 emails to answer, a logo to design, a blog post to write, a product to review, figure out what's for dinner, go to they gym, events to attend, clean up for my parent's visit, and the list goes on. I'm doing things and I'm ALWAYS busy. I get client work done by the deadline and my calendar looks like a gay pride parade with a rainbow of due dates. In the #altchat Alt Summit asked: WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOU FIND YOURSELF IN A RUT? Hmmmm… me in a rut? What do I do when I'm in a rut? I'm always doing something. Wait, have I ever been in a rut? Am I in a rut now? How do I know that I'm in a rut?
Sure having a routine is great. You develop good habits. You get things accomplished. You're in the groove. But how do you know if you're just walking through life on cruise control? How do you know if you're in a rut and things need to shake things up?
YOU'RE IN A RUT IF:
• You make the same 5 things for dinner.
• You do the same workout.
• Your selfie photo is the same.
• You and your partner haven't tried that new sex position.
• You wear the same outfit, hair and makeup.
• You're out of ideas and you write the same blog post.
• You go to the same places.
• You use your 30 minutes of free time to tackle a chore on your to-do list instead of doing something you'd really like to do.
• Do you know what you'd REALLY like to do on your free time that's inspiring? (Mindlessly looking at Pinterest doesn't count.)
• Are you having fun?
O. M. G. I'm a to-do list slave on auto-pilot in a rut. I'm too busy to enjoy MY life. I'm doing all of this "stuff" but actually I'm kinda board. What am I really accomplishing (professionally and personally) with all of this "busy work"?
Of course we all have obligations and a busy schedule. But how many things do you do that you actually enjoy? Of course you have to answer that email, do the dirty laundry, read that business article and start dinner. But you have to do fun things so that you don't loose yourself and your happiness in the shuffle.
Let's flip the script! Let's shake things up! When you're happy your body releases endorphins. They let you work better, smarter and hustle harder.
HOW TO GET OUT OF A RUT:
1. Spend some time reflecting on what makes you happy. Pick one thing that makes you personally happy and do it 30 minutes a day.
2. Think of a new idea. Try an experiment for your business and see if you get results. A new blog post, a new product or service.
Did you say yes to anything on the above list? If so, do something different.
• Make something new for dinner on Sunday.
• Switch up your workout. Walk outside. Take a fitness class. Try out a new workout machine. Do your workout backwards.
• Get a new self pose. Try out some poses that your girl crushes do.
• Try that new sex position (more than once, LOL).
• Buy a new shirt or accessory. Or shop your closet for a new outfit.
• Have an at home spa day and try out some new looks. A new lipstick from the drugstore will work wonders.
• Have FUN!
I hope this blog post helped you figure out if you're in a rut or just need to adjust your groove. I know I just helped myself, LOL!